not a list of complaints.

So, we've been in a bit of a funk lately:lots of rain + missing friends + wanting maybe something resembling winter... It's made it hard to write because we don't want to just complain all of the time. I'm going to try my best.
Over the past couple of weeks, there has been a secret friend thing happening at school. Now, I don't generally like secret friend things because I spend a lot of time trying to think of presents, making them and then trying really hard not to give it all away. The person who organized it looked sad when I said I didn't want to participate, and it's true, I didn't. I would much rather wait around to see who's complaining about not getting presents and then get inspired about them and give them things. So that happened and I got to help the volunteer who has been working with my classroom because he was confused about what he had agreed to. It was so much better to help him make bread for the first time (and make a loaf separately for his secret friend) than it ever would have been with my own. I really rather like that.
My mom is coming down next Wednesday and I'm also really excited about that. We're going to hang out here and do the million things that lead up to xmas around here and then do some traveling in Nicaragua and on the Nicoya Peninsula afterwards. I'm still trying to figure out how to organize the whole trip, and since it's superhigh season I really should get on the reservation aspect of it, but I'm still so busy with school...
That said, my reports are nearly complete. I have to put in some numbers on some checklists, add a couple of final sentences and send things to the people that need them. Oh, and I should actually calculate some grades, but that's in the plan for Saturday when I totally clean my area of the classroom. The paper pile is vying with my high school piles in both height and complexity.
All in all, though, things are okay. Nicole and I just designed and did an awesome project with the 7/8 graders where they had to create an ancient civilization/city and map it and estimate water usages, and represent the other parts of a civilization through writing, art, sculpture and performance. The presentations were today and even though they were ridiculously long, it was awesome to see all of the thinking that had gone into their projects. I think two weeks was the perfect amount of time because only one group was self-destructing at the end and it was clearly because of the people involved, not the project itself. So there. Now, if it hadn't been the end of the semester, I might have actually followed in Emily's footsteps and done the project with Nicole myself, but the whole write a million reports thing kind of got in the way.
I am hopeful that soon this will look more like a traveling and living abroad blog instead of a teaching one.
Oh, and I saw a toucanet this morning in our yard. Like a toucan, but littler. It sounded like a toucan too, but like one with a bit of a cold. And there were multiple rainbows to greet the morning. Doesn't suck.

2 comments:

Salal said...

Hi there! I've updated myself on your and Jordan's exploits, and now can update you on mine. So, your mom must be there by now (considering it's Friday), but hopefully you're still around before you head out to more adventures. Are you going to Ometepe??? You DEFINITELY should if you said "no" and if you have flexibility. it's awesome.
Well, it snowed considerably (for Seattle) on Thursday, and then it was very cold, and now there's just ice and snow. And it's supposed to be stormy again on Sat. night. It's quite exciting for the NW, but not nearly as crazy as NE, I hear!
I'm still doing the EE thing, teaching about the salmons, but keeping my eyes and ears open for something new. Jonathan just got laid off from Big Brothers Big Sisters, so now he's maybe dealing with a career change. don't know.
Had a craft party the other night (Casey and Alex were there) and we reminisced about our lovely potlucks. miss those. miss you!!
I hope your homesickness abates (or already has)!
Take care and xoxoxoxox

annie/winks said...

Any recommendations of places to stay in ometepe? We're still figuring out that part of our trip...
boo on being laid off... I'm planning on playing dear abby tomorrow for the yoga studio open house that I somehow got roped into playing for... Where's Faith when you need her?